According to statistics, an average speeding ticket in the US costs $150, but as I have experienced myself, it can go as high as $2000. Yes, it’s that crazy.
For me, it’s a huge no-no! And if I can help the driving community avoid those pricey tickets, I would. So I’ve compiled my reviews of the greatest radar (and laser) detectors for different price ranges, including those under $200.
Here are the mid-range detectors that can guarantee your safety from speeding tickets, fines, and court time.
7 of the best radar detectors under 200 reviews
These are the best radar detectors under $200:
1 – Uniden R1
For those with a budget of under 200, the Uniden R1 is just at the brink and one of the best options. It’s extreme long range with a 360-degree DSP (digital signal processor).
Get notified miles before the actual red or speed light camera or hidden law enforcement, which gives you more time to adjust your speed accordingly.
- 360-degree DSP (digital signal processor)
- Clear and colored OLED display
- Comes with suction and cigarette adapter
- Detects many bands
- Long range detection
- Highly sensitive
- Voice notifications
- Undetectable by the Spectre Elite
- Comes with a carrying case
- Reduces false alerts
- Lightweight and slim design
- Affordable price
- The suction isn’t meant for extremely hot weather.
The Uniden R1 has a wide dynamic range of band detection including the K and Ka bands that come with a false filter to help diminish false alerts. To make things easier to view, the Uniden R1 radar detector displays the bands and signal strength.
One amazing feature of the Uniden R1 is it’s undetectable with the Spectre Elite. The common police radar detector detector cannot sense the Uniden R1.
The R1 comes with suction mounting brackets and cigarette adapter making it easy to setup, all for under 200.
2 – Cobra Rad 480i
The sleek design of the Cobra Rad 480i is what first caught our eye. This seemingly unthreatening device is your saving grace for radar detection. Complete with new LaserEye technology. The Cobra Rad 480i affords you protection from the front and back.
It even has its own compatible app ready to download to your phone. The iRadar app allows fellow drivers (over 3 million) to share and receive real time alerts on potential law enforcement, speed and red light cameras.
- Wide range detection
- iRadar app for sharing and receiving alerts
- LaserEye Technology
- Improved IVT filter to reduce false alerts
- Adjustable sensitivity
- Updatable software
- Impressive DSP
- Sleek design
- The software may not be compatible with some computer operating systems
It also supports Bluetooth connectivity to share and receive details with fellow Cobra users.
Get notified way beforehand with the long range detection provided by the DSP technology and the IVF filter will greatly reduce false alerts.
The Cobra Rad 480i comes with everything you need in the box and the software is easily updatable for the latest improvements.
3 – Cobra iRad
The Cobra iRad is similar to the Cobra Rad 480i with just a few key differences. It also features Bluetooth connectivity and the iRadar app to connect with fellow users. What the Cobra iRad also has is voice alerts, which makes sure you get the warning.
Voice alerts are more convenient than visual alerts since it’s unsafe to have an eye on the radar detector while driving. The Cobra iRad can even send you texts and it can be done in both English and Spanish.
- Voice alerts
- Bright white OLED display
- Enhanced IVT Filter
- Laser detection from the front and back
- Features instant-on
- Wide range detection
- Supports Bluetooth
- The alerts can be a bit quiet
The iRadar app allows you to connect to millions of users to share real-time alerts on speed and red light cameras to hidden law enforcement officers. If you do like visual displays, the Cobra iRad features a bright OLED display with black text to make sure you get all the details.
It displays information such as the signal strength, and type of band in any type of lighting condition.
4 – Uniden DFR7 Super Long Range Radar/Laser Detection with GPS
The Uniden DFR7 is targeted by the brand for long range detection, and it does exactly that. Especially in the popular US radar frequency, 34.7, this model really performs impressively and can even be compared to high-end ones.
Sometimes, it can perform even better than Escort Max 360 or Valentine One. Just an important note though: while it has a good record in detecting signals on that frequency, we can’t say the same when it comes to others like 35.5 and 33.8.
GPS lockouts can also significantly help in the filtering process, so you’re assured that no automatic doors are disturbing your drive.
If you’re more inclined to drive quietly, you can use the Quiet Ride feature of this device when driving slowly. Pressing the Mute button twice can activate this feature, ensuring your rise is nice and quiet the entire time.
- Long-range detection
- Features blind-spot monitoring (BSM)
- Quiet driving due to Low-speed muting (Quiet ride)
- Features GPS lockouts for false alert filtering
- Red light camera (RLC) and speed cam alerts
- Notifications can be loud.
The Uniden DFR7 also offers alerts for Red light camera and speed cameras. This feature can be easily updated through the brand’s website.
With these features packed into a less than $200 radar detector, you know that you’re getting a product that’s worth it.
If you like all the features of the Uniden DFR7 with a cheaper price tag, you can opt for its GPS-less brother, Uniden DFR6 save some money in the process. But if your budget is more flexible, there are some good detectors in higher price range.
5 – Whistler CR93 Laser/Radar Detector
Most Amazon consumers feel that the Whistler CR93 offers the greatest among the top radar detectors under 200 dollars. If you need a detector that is as convenient as it is powerful, few options are as capable as the Whistler CR93.
This radar detector can spot radar guns at ranges that other models cannot even hope to reach. If you find yourself on the highway relatively often, this model is a perfect investment.
There are also several measures in place to eliminate many of the false alarms that plague other models.
For example, the inclusion of a traffic flow rejection system means that you will be able to know when other cars are causing the occurrence of false signals. Like in most quality detectors, you will be able to adjust your options so your device can handle false alarms in different ways.
- Features protection in a 360-degree radius
- Features a range of laser protection options
- Has both radio signature ID and laser signal signature ID systems
- Features six different filters which cut down on false alarms
- Features a traffic flow signal rejection system for less false alerts
- Features an internal GPS which gives you a map of ticket cams
- Can detect signals like Superwide, X band, Ku band, K band, Spectre I and IV+
- Build quality is less than high-end detectors like Escort, but is great for its price.
- Range is reduced when placed too low in the dash, so it should be mounted properly in the middle.
The inclusion of an internal GPS allows you to keep track of all of the different cameras in your area and this database can be updated regularly online. All you have to do is connect your radar detector to your computer with a USB, cable and you will be ready to head out with your new map.
6 – Escort Passport S55 Performance Pro Radar and Laser Detector
The Escort Passport S55 is a powerful device, so if you want a radar detector that can work in most situations and you don’t mind spending a little bit of extra money, you will love this product from Escort.
This company makes some of the top radar detectors which are available to consumers (check here), so you can rest assured that this model is worth your money even when sometimes they have products with power cards hanging around the dashboard.
While there may be a few radar traps within the city, you will find it difficult to get as much use out of a radar detector within the confines of smaller streets.
This network ensures that your radar detector will always be working at peak performance levels, every additional radar detector on this network makes every connected device more effective.
- Features an automatic sensitivity setting mode for optimal adjustments
- Features superior range to much of the competition
- Capable of detecting K and Ka bands at longer ranges
- This product is capable of automatically filtering sources of false alarms
- Features an option for the omission of X band transmissions
- Connects to ESCORT Live, a network which updates the detector automatically
- No issues with microwave loss
- A little more expensive than some of the other options
There are also many included features that make this product much more convenient than other, competing models. For example, you can automatically omit the cluttered X band frequency, if you so desire.
The only downside to this model is that you may end up having issues with the price that it is sold for.
7 – Uniden DFR5 Long Range Radar/Laser Detector
Uniden has a handful of radar detectors under 200 bucks. If you want a the best quality radar detector that can be found for a more reasonable price, this model from Uniden is a great option. If you are sick of your other detectors popping endless false alerts, this may be the best option.
The cable, which is designed to be concealed with ease can be plugged into your cigarette lighter outlet, but you can also splice the wire into your car’s battery if you suffer from cord fatigue. Otherwise, you may wish to leave the more complex installation methods to a mechanic or electrician.
While this product is capable, it is not what we would call flashy. This radar detector model does not come equipped with the same array of other features that you will find on some of the competition. This is also a rather stealthy radar detector, as you do not have to worry about systems that counter it.
- Features superior range to other models
- This model can’t be detected by Specter detection systems
- This product is less sensitive than much of the competition, which reduces false alarms
- Though it is less sensitive, this product is adept at long-range detection
- Features a cable which is easy to conceal on your dashboard
- Much more affordable than competing models
- Has difficulty detecting some traffic cameras and other detectors which operate using low power
- Detection reaction may take a bit more time in windy roads.
There are some downsides to this model. While it is affordable, it is not the top detector in its price range because it has some difficulty picking up weaker signals that are used on signs and other more passive methods of detection. Regardless, most of the experienced users reported they were satisfied with this product.
Our Top Pick – Uniden R1
Among all these good options of radar detectors under $200, Uniden R1 proves to be the best radar detector for the money.
The reliability and convenience of the 480i come in the form of a 360-degree DSP technology, long range detection, and ability to be undetected by Spectre Elite. These features, plus voice alerts reduced false alarms make it a reliable and convenient option at a good price point.
The impressive design is another major advantage of this detector, complementing its ability to adjust detection sensitivity to give users the best experience. Without a doubt, the Uniden R1 is the #1 radar detector below $200.