So, what can we say about the Uniden DFR7? It seems to be high-quality radar detector and it’s obviously well reviewed on some sites like Amazon by real paying customers, but how does it hold up? How does it hold up for the individual consumer who wants to avoid speeding tickets? Does it do well at detecting city speed traps and how does it fare on the highway? There’s so many questions that need answered and we honestly hope we’ll be able to answer every single one of those and more. We can say off the bat though that this model has a really cool design.
Well, what’s not to say about the design of the DFR7? This is one of the coolest models out there. This looks like something that Batman would have in their vehicle. Everything from the display, to the functionality and even to the buttons is absolutely superb in this model. The case looks really shiny and is painted with a pearlescent black color almost. The display is great and easy to read, so we really love how the display turned out and the buttons are all in an easy to reach place.
What’s so impressive about this version of Uniden and what a lot of Uniden detectors do best is that they have an extremely long range. The range of this detector is extremely impressive and you can see those pesky speed traps coming from nearly a mile away, so never fear or worry about if you’ll catch a speed trap in time because you’ll most definitely be prepared no matter how far away you are.
A lot of police in small towns and police on a budget still use some outdated laser technology which the newest models of radar detectors don’t detect because they’re outdated. This model though however does, along with detecting the newest models of police equipment for catching speedy drivers. Also, there’s GPS built in to this unit, unlike its contemporary detector DFR6, so it’s insanely accurate, no matter where you’re at.
If you’re worried about running into those red light cameras that snap your picture as you speed through them, you won’t have to worry about that because the signal those give off can easily be detected by this unit. Whether it’s one of those speeding camera systems or a red light camera that’s designed to snap pictures, you’ll be alerted right away when you’re approaching one.
If you’re running over the top speed that’s allowed within city limits or the highway, this detector can warn you when you’re getting close to the speed limit. This can be turned off for you heavy foot drivers out there but if you’re wanting to play it safe, this is a good option to have and keep turned on, because sometimes, you don’t notice yourself going over the speed limit. It will present the maximum speed in every jurisdiction and present that information to you.
Pros & Cons
- Some pretty good suction mounts are included in your purchase of the Uniden DFR7, so if you want to attach this to your windshield or your dashboard, you get some pretty good accessories to make sure that it not only attaches but sticks
- The display is extremely bright and really easy to read, even for those without perfect vision, so if you have trouble reading some of those other radar detectors, don’t worry because this is one of the easiest detectors to read that we’ve seen
- A lot of different options are displayed on the display as well such as what your battery voltage is using, the altitude of your position, your maximum speed, a clock, the frequency of different bands in the surrounding area and more
- You won’t have to be fooled or trapped by going the maximum speed anymore because if you come close to that, this thing will alert you and the alert can be rather loud as well, so you definitely won’t miss it
- You can easily escape the confines of those annoying red camera lights which snap your picture as you pass through them because this unit detects all of them
- The noise is definitely the only flaw we’ve noticed in this model because the alerts and the voice can be a little bit on the loud side, especially for maximum speed
Q: Why do other radars similar to this cost over $300?
A: We definitely understand the concern and why you’d wonder about that. Uniden has a wide variety of products and it always seems like it’s their goal to make sure that they’re providing a group of people products without charging them too much money. This unit costs less than $300 but provides the same functionality as those units that do charge $300 and more and if you don’t believe us, try it out for yourself with no risk to you.
Q: Can I connect this detector to Waze?
A: No, you cannot. Some people have asked about Waze functionality and that’s not entirely accurate, as it’s 100% community driven. Instead, Uniden provides an app that allows you to connect to and update not only the database but the firmware and allows you to receive constant updates that will let you make sure you’re in the know and away from any speed traps that you may be close to.
Uniden DFR7 Review Conclusion
The Uniden DFR7 has a lot of unique features and is sold at a pretty unique price but how does it hold up? Is it worth it? Is it something you should purchase for yourself? To answer these questions, it really depends on what you need and where you drive. If you live in a really small town where law enforcement has outdated technology and there’s a lack of traffic stop lights, then probably not. However, if you travel or live in a big city, this thing can be a bit of a blessing. We can recommend this either way and you’ll just have to try it for yourself.