A laser jammer is defined as an electronic device that is used by the drivers to avoid the users of a LIDAR or a laser gun from obtaining the speed reading of their traveling vehicle. The concept of laser jammers is not to be confused with radar jammers because the radar jammers are the device that is used to band the passing of radio signals in a specified surrounding area.
Working process of laser jammers:
- 1. To jam the LIDAR signals, the laser jammers should detect the emitted light first and generally the infrared light on the 904nm wavelength light was emitted from the laser jammers.
- 2. After detecting the lidar gun light the laser jammer will be sent the light out on the same wavelength with an even more high intensity, which will effectively confuse the gun into the returning with no speed reading.
- 3. Some of the newer laser models can able to detect the pulse rate of the gun. Here the plus rate means that the rate at which the gun takes the distance measurements and upon which it bases the speed measurement of the laser gun.
- 4. Then the laser light emulates the pulse rate, by further increasing the difficulty of getting a perfect reading from the laser gun.
- 5. Due to this kind of jammers will focus on blocking the light emitted from the laser guns and not to the radio waves from the radar guns.
Restrictions to use the laser jammers
The U.S federal laws are prohibiting the use of the radar jammers which do not apply to this kind of devices which jam the laser signals.
Whereas the U.S federal communication commission regulates the transmission of the radio signals, the U.S Food and Drug Administration generates light emissions.
Whatever it is, several states have passed the laws which specially prohibit the use of laser jammers. But it doesn’t mean you can stay ‘unprotected’ on your drives. Many states allow radar & laser detectors in your vehicle. Many of these topnotch radar & laser detectors are enough to make your drives ticket-free.
Countries which prohibit the use of laser jammers:
- South Carolina.
Countries which gives legal permission to use laser jammers:
- Washington, D.C.
Photo enforcement system in laser jammers
The passive laser jammers have never been effective when they are a couple of other passive solutions which can in some cases beat photo enforcement systems. Here the first one is a license plate that covers that obscures the numbers in the visible spectrum of the light.
The newer photo of the laser system uses the infrared cameras that can be thwarted by an infrared absorbing material to block out the plate. Whereas the speed of the vehicle is still measured by the identification of the vehicle which will be seriously hampered because the license plate is obscured so that there is no way to automatically issue a citation via mail.
An even more ominous threat to the motoring public is presently used and it is much more difficult to detect the laser signal and the likelihood of the successful court challenges to issued tickets is much smaller and it is now widespread to use.
History of laser jammers
The first laser jammer ever created was by K40 electronics companies in the year of 1994 at April month which is called as K40 laser defuser.
The next version is released by the Lidatek LLC which is called as Lidatek LE-10 Laser Echo and after this, there are many more companies manufacturing the laser jammers. And In the present day, the best laser jammers are recommended for civilian use also.