You need a special license to drive a gigantic vehicle like a truck. Truck drivers have exceptional skills when it comes to maneuvering through winding roads and rough terrain. Rigs can often cause large-scale accidents, which means as a driver, you have to be extra careful.
Certain devices such as a dash cam, can greatly decrease accidents, produce evidence that can help you in a court of law, and dissuade potential burglars. A dash cam for truckers is different from one for an everyday SUV or sedan.
Let’s take a look at which new models made it to our best dash cam for truckers list and review.
Table of Contents
- Top 7 Dash Cams for Truckers Reviews & Comparison
- Our Top Pick
Top 7 Dash Cams for Truckers Reviews & Comparison
1 – Rove R2-4K Dash Cam
First on our list and review of best dash cam for truckers is the Roke R2-4K dash camera. It’s Ultra HD, with a high resolution up to 2160p. Plus, it has a 4MP CMOS sensor. It’s hard to get a clearer picture than that from a dash cam. Truckers especially need to have an unhindered view of the road.
The 4K resolution of this dash cam plus the 24fps rate knocks many other competitors out of the park. The super night vision technology on this dash cam also displays ultra-clear footage when driving at night or in low light conditions.
Built-in Wi-Fi and GPS features are a luxury not every dashboard camera has. It’s important to select a dash camera with Wi-Fi and GPS features for trucks.
As for the built-in GPS, this top dash camera also comes in handy especially if you’re managing a fleet of trucks. The GPS provides accurate video recording of a truck’s driving location and speed. You can even use the GPS on the dash camera to view your route on Google Maps.
Other features included in this dash cam for truckers are motion detection, a wide 150 degree lens, wide dynamic range (WDR), and gravity sensor (G- sensors).
These features all give you the best quality image recording if you require evidence in the event of an accident or any insurance claims to the insurance company.
As for power, you get a USB charging cable. Save hours of videos in one 128gb micro SD memory card (not included).
- The CMOS sensor + 4K resolution + 24 frames per second frame rate of this dash cam gives you a clear view of any details on the road.
- Night vision is incredibly important in a dash cam for drivers as many make night runs and drive for long hours at a time. This is also applicable for uber drivers’ dashcams.
- Using the built-in Wi-Fi and GPS in this dash cam gives utmost convenience
- Features wide dynamic range (WDR)
- The parking monitor and sensor in this dash camera keep your car safe when parked because it will start recording any collision or accident
- The wide lens of 150 degrees gives a field of view of about three lanes.
- Some conditions don’t give true 4K resolution. It could be a 2K resolution camera with added pixels.
- The camera overheats easily.
- Poor quality night vision due to low video quality resolution.
2 – CHORTAU Dash Cam
A front and rear trucker dash cam offers more protection. You can keep an eye on what happens ahead and behind your vehicle. For an affordable price, you can get full protection with 1080P quality (full HD) resolution with this best trucker dash cam.
The rear camera is waterproof and is easy to install outside your vehicle.
One winning feature of this quality dual dash cam for truckers is the extremely wide-angle views. The front lens gives a 170 degree field of view and the rear camera lens boasts a wide 130 degree field of view.
This dual dash cam for truckers has a loop record feature that will automatically replace hours of older videos and save newer ones once the memory card is full. The seamless video recording will save all locked videos captured when the sensor is triggered.
With each purchase from Chortau, you get the best protection with a 3 year warranty and 100% satisfaction guarantee. Overall, we give a big yes to this as one of the best dash cams for truckers around.
- Each feature offers full protection without the high price tag
- Features lens with front field of view at 170 degrees and the rear at 130 degrees
- The loop record is a feature that allows seamless bypassing of locked videos in the SOS file.
- Using the gravity sensor protection will keep you and your vehicle safe as it records each time there’s an impact
- You’ll find it easy to install
- Comes with a 3 year warranty and a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.
- The instructions to install might not be detailed enough.
- This one overheats easily
- The trucker dash cam is only compatible with high-speed SD cards (class 10 is recommended).
3 – WheelWitness HD PRO Dash Cam
This premium HD PRO model is one of the best dash cam for truckers that’s around in the market. It comes with a Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS Sensor plus 2K super HD resolution at 2304x1296p, giving you highly detailed images.
It has night vision for reduced light conditions and records well at 30 frames per second!
The price of the WheelWitness HD PRO is a bit higher than others, but you get WDR (wide dynamic range) technology which provide a means to capture the best images in low light. The wide dynamic range is able to balance the exposure of the video. (More info on wide dynamic range on this link.)
You get 3 different mounts with this top camera, 2 sticky mounts, and 1 suction cup mount. We advocate for the suction cup mounts because the sticky mounts might have an extra-strong adhesive that may be immovable. For power, you get a dual USB.
Others require an additional purchase of a microSD for storage. But yes, the WheelWitness HD PRO dash cam comes with a free 32 GB micro SD memory card.
- This dash cam for truckers comes with a FREE Micro SD card.
- Great wide angle field of view at 170 degrees
- Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS Sensor
- Using the GPS allows you to keep a close eye on your routes and driving habits.
- The mounts included (suction mount or adhesive mount) keep the HD PRO dash camera stable
- Features wide dynamic range (WDR) for clear video details
- This HD PRO trucker dash cam comes with 2K resolution and 30 frames per second frame rate for great detail.
- Screen is at 3 inches, a bit larger than other dash cams like the KDLinks x1 at 2.7 inches
- Cheaply made for the price.
- Sometimes the dash cam won’t startup.
- Battery issues such as not holding a charge.
4 – VSYSTO Truck Dash Cam
We did find an Amazon Choice Product made especially for truckers. The VSYSTO truck dash cam provides three different camera recordings at different angles. This makes it easier for you to simultaneously monitor all sides of the truck.
The front camera operates at Super HD (1080p), with the other two cameras both streaming high definition video (720x480p). The side and rear cameras are weatherproof, allowing you to take the best image regardless of weather conditions.
You can set the loop record to record at 1,3, and 5-minute video files with the old ones replaced by the new ones whenever the SD card is full. Except for the locked videos, which is video captured when the G-sensor is set off, all older files will be overwritten.
- Using the three-camera recording allows you to monitor all angles of your vehicle with this purchase.
- All cameras use high definition
- Amazon Choice Product
- You have the option of setting the HD dash cam to record footage at either 1, 3 or 5-minute records.
- Features G-sensor for protection
- Loop record will replace all old videos and save new data automatically when the memory card is full.
- No user’s guide
- The wires are thin and flimsy, which makes setup a bit hard
- No GPS. GPS is helpful when tracking your location
5 – TOGUARD Backup Camera 7” Mirror Dash Cam
A large 7’’ touch screen control dual dash cam is exactly what a trucker needs. In such a large space, a small size LCD screen (like 2.7 inches a lot of dash cams have) won’t give you clear details. You should use two hands at 10 and 2 at all time, so the large screen makes it super easy for you to control.
You get full HD video for the forward view cam and a 480p waterproof back camera. With the large touch screen as big as your rearview mirror, you won’t miss anything on the road.
The parking monitor mode and a G sensor protect your car when parked since the dash camera will record at any collision detected. The trigger of the G sensor auto-locks the recording, which won’t be erased. So in case of any accident, you’d have good record of the evidence right there.
This sleek design of this camera uses anti-glare glass and an iron frame with a 7’’ high-sensitivity touch-screen. This one is easy to set up is easy to use. Just plug the dash camera to your cigarette lighter or mini USB and you’re good to go.
However, this dash cam doesn’t have GPS. But yes, you could buy a separate GPS module to use GPS in this dash cam.
- A dash camera that allows you to monitor everything happening outside your truck.
- The reversing camera function and easily adjustable 5 viewing modes help you see better
- Features basic G-sensor function, you can leave your truck unattended as it will start recording on impact. You’d also have clear evidence in your dash cam in case there’s an accident or if you need photos of license plates.
- This design is easy to set up and use. Plug to the cigarette lighter or mini USB for power.
- Wide dynamic range (WDR) feature
- A mirror dash cam doesn’t have to be a replacement rearview.
- The easy to set up mirror trucker dash cam comes with a clear user manual for any help you require
- Turning on motion detection system while driving could interfere with the regular recording.
- The dash cam might require a longer cable
- To use GPS, you need to buy an external GPS module
6 – eRapta HD Backup & Front Camera with 7” Monitor
This best trucker dash cam is another option also made specifically for the big boys. It works great with RV’s, all kinds of trucks and buses. Both the rear and front-facing camera operate at Full HD (1080p).
Crystal clear videos of the road behind you and what’s coming up will make your journey a safe one. When evening comes, the super night vision will still maintain a clear video day and night.
The gravity sensor of the camera also auto-locks any emergency recording that won’t be erased by the loop record function to back you up during any dispute or accident.
The motion detection system turns the dash cam on automatically and starts recording to ensure no critical moments are missed. With crystal clear images, license plates, even those with the best license plate frames, will be visible.
Many of you who drive an RV don’t do it on the regular, and you’d know that driving one massive vehicle always requires skill.
The rear camera is waterproof so it can be used in any type of weather without interfering with its functions. You can also rely on customer service for help.
- Both cameras are full HD, which is rarely seen as most cameras have a lower resolution back camera. No matter which way you are facing, the video is crystal clear.
- The G-sensor feature might as well be named “guard sensor”, because that’s what it is. Using this technology helps you avoid on-road disputes and accident as it will start recording any impact.
- The loop recording feature allows drivers to ensure the dash cam records without worrying about lost videos any time.
- The large 7″ TFT – LCD screen features a nice display, while many cameras have an LCD screen in a smaller size such as the KDLinks x1 at 2.7 inches.
- Comes with a motion detection system
- Features an IP 69 waterproof rear camera
- Customer service is available if you require help
- Lifetime support and 2-year factory warranty
- Undetailed user manual so the camera is harder to install
- Might get a bit of static during night vision mode, but nothing serious enough to impair vision.
7 – VAVA Dash Cam
Last on our list is the VAVA Dash Cam. Although this dash cam doesn’t have an LCD screen, it has built-in Wi-Fi to connect to your phone. You can monitor and playback the footage from the convenience of your smartphone. Share the video and pictures on social media with real-time sharing if you wish.
The full high definition dash cam has a 360 degrees swivel angle lens, to capture footage at any point. It can capture a range as wide as 5 car lanes in crystal clear video detail! The night vision with Sony IMX32 image sensor technology will balance light exposure to provide crisp videos.
The built-in GPS is able to track your location, speed and route, compatible with Google Maps. Also equipped with G-sensor, motion detection, and loop recording, you are automatically protected any time day and night.
The compact size and small design of the camera is subtle and won’t obstruct drivers’ vision when using it. And yes, the easy to install swivel mounting dash cam (with suction mount) can capture videos inside and out.
- When you suddenly encounter an event on the road where you need a quick snapshot, the snapshot button, which can be attached to your steering wheel is used for this. You can also shoot videos for as long as 20 seconds with a longer press. It’s one of the best features of this dash cam.
- 360 degree field of view
- Wi-Fi equipped dash cams may be linked to your phone with the compatible app.
- The swivel base feature is manually controlled, just turn the dash cam towards anything you’d like to record
- With motion detection
- This dashboard camera has wide angle lens that captures up to 5 car lanes! Never miss critical moments again with this dash cam.
- GPS enabled to monitor where you’re going. The built-in GPS also gives info on speed and distance to destination.
- Easy to install camera
- Great night vision for low lighting
- The Wi-Fi feature is only compatible with smartphones
- You must format the SD card on the VAVA app to get it working.
- Difficult to connect the app to the dashboard camera
- The dash cam is said to be a bit on the heavy side.
There are many reasons to have a dashboard camera for your truck. For one, a dash cam is a way to ensure you safety on the road day and night, while capturing breathtaking views all around. There are a few things to look for when picking out your next best dash cam.
Our Top Pick
VSYSTO Truck Dash Cam
While all the dash cameras great for drivers, there is one that leads the pack for one simple reason – the three different camera angles. Not only do you get front and rear view from the lens, but you get the side of this best dash cam for truckers, too.
This dash cam was made for truck drivers who want extremely high quality video and photos. It’s compatible with a 12V system or 24V system. The cameras are waterproof with loop recording and G-sensor that automatically start recording at any time in case of any impact or accident.
The wide fish-eye angle and built-in microphone capture even more evidence. Considering the size of a truck, the manufacturer includes a cable that is long enough and the three viewpoints will eliminate blind spots.
Wanna save more money? Check our top dashcams for under $100.
What to Look for When Buying a Dash Cam for Truckers
For any vehicle, the least you should settle for in a new dashboard camera is Full HD or 1080P video quality. We understand that if you use a dual dash cam, the rear-facing cam might not live up to this standard.
However, make sure that the front is at least 1080p. Full HD is not the same at the standard high definition, which is at 720p. Products below that would be unacceptable, but don’t restrict yourself and go ahead with 2K or 4K resolution.
Plus, buy something with high fps like 24 or 30 frames per second. The best dash cameras for truckers should have high definition to get the best video quality.
While there is no guarantee your dash cam will save the day, it can certainly come through for you in a better way if have better road vision.
Wide angle Field of View
Consider how wide your view can span when buying the best dash cameras. Our standard is to aim for a dash cam with lens that provides a 150 degrees view or above. You need the range to span at least 3 car lanes.
The degree of the wide angle view eliminates blind spots, and some best dash cams even have turning guidance, which is only possible with a lens that gives an extensive degree of wide angle view.
Why have a new dash cam that only operates well when driving during the day? A lot of truckers drive well into the night and do night runs, not just the day. So having a best dash cam and other accessories with super night vision is always a good idea to protect you when going out in low light conditions.
What this feature is meant to do is ensure all the vital recordings and data, such as the case of an accident. These videos are automatically recorded by the camera when the G-sensor or parking monitor are activated and record segments of 20-30 seconds.
The camera will start recording, while the video is protected from the loop recording feature meant to replace older unused video with newer data when your memory card is full.
Rather than having to always manually check the data and erase older videos, your dash cam product does it for you automatically and seamlessly to ensure your dash cam is up to date all the time.
WiFi (remote access) and GPS
Having GPS technology and WiFi is optional depending on what a driver wants.
Remote access requires built-in Wi-Fi in your dash cam, allowing you to interact with the dash cam using your mobile device and receive real-time alerts. You can also configure everything from your phone with the compatible app.
Wifi allows your phone to simultaneously record and receive data and images as your dash cam records, and share the data in case you need it.
A GPS enabled dashcam records your car location, route and the speed of your vehicle. If you control a fleet or manage a trucking company, GPS technology comes in handy as well to see the driving habits of your truckers.
You will identify the exact location of your trucks at any time with GPS. Not to mention, GPS is also extremely useful when refuting speeding tickets.
Front View, Dual Dash, Triple Dash or Quad?
For a truck driver, perhaps just one angle isn’t enough to keep an eye on the truck. We acknowledge the existence of the regular dash cam with a front-facing camera, and the common dual cam with front and rear view. We also saw an example with three dash cameras, for the front, side and back recording.
But did you know three is a dashboard camera with four cameras? This is called a quad. This dash cam arrangement comes with four cameras, for front and rear view and view of both sides.
To ensure you take as much video as possible, you’d want to have a memory card with lots of space for data. Some best dash cams come with microSD cards with 32G of memory. The options in the list that don’t come with micro SD cards would recommend you get a class 10 128G memory card.
These memory cards will have more than enough space for all data records, but you can also use a 64 gb SD card if you want. However, you need to make sure the memory card is compatible with your chosen dash cam.
G-sensor and Parking Mode
Parking mode and G-sensor (gravity sensor) technology automatically turns on the dash cam and starts recording around 30 seconds of footage.
This video is later locked and is immune to the loop recording feature. Meaning it won’t be erased until you review it.
The parking mode/monitor refers to when the car is parked and unattended. The G-sensor or gravity sensor mode detects any sort of collision when you’re driving and starts recording instantly. You can fully rely on these two features for all the vital videos in case of an accident.
Aside from this, the best dash cam should also have a solid processor. A Sony Exmor image sensor or Novatek is good.
Temperature and Water-resistance
The temperature refers to how high a temperature the dash cam can stand while retaining quality. A lot of countries can reach scorching temperatures that could tamper with the functionality of even the best dash cam.
This is also important for the dash cam mount. Mounting a dashboard camera is often with suction cup mounts, which could have trouble holding in hotter temperatures.
Water-resistance is important if you have a dual dash cam. Much of the time, the rear and side-view cameras are mounted to the exterior of the car, which means the weather shouldn’t affect the image quality and the utility. So you’d want a good dash cam that’s reliable in whatever weather.
Size and Display
The size of the dash cam is in direct correlation with the display size. Think about how big a screen you want (LCD screen or not).
We personally like a dashboard camera with larger LCD screen because when you activate park or turning guidance, it’s much easier to see the picture and enjoy the quality on a big LCD. But if you want a smaller LCD screen, you can go for a good 2.7 inches like in KDLinks X1.
There are even some cameras that don’t have an LCD screen, and for options like this, we suggest looking for ones with Wifi so you have a way to at least view the records in real-time from your phone.
For those who like to use a large LCD screen, the rearview dash cam option can provide up to 10 inches of LCD screen for the best road vision.
High quality dash cams usually only have a battery life of a few minutes. Some don’t even come with an extra backup battery. Most if not all dash cams operate connected to your car, but another way is to also use it with a battery.
Note that a backup battery is important in case power fails, you won’t lose any videos.
We have three power options. You may either rely on the camera’s battery for power, but you’ll find that this power doesn’t last long. You can also plug it into a cigarette lighter socket, which should provide enough power.
If you want, you may also hardwire the dash cam to the fuse box for constant power supply.
Note that keeping the dash cam clean will keep it working for longer. Maintenance of the dash cam will contribute to its longevity.
To sum up, you should look for best cameras with a wide angle lens, high resolution, GPS and Wifi where applicable, parking mode, a backup battery and enough memory to use. That’s all you need to ensure the safety of you and your vehicle on the road.
But if you’re looking for best front and rear dash cams for your regular car, read our list and review here: https://www.ratedradardetector.org/dashcam/best-front-and-rear/. We also have in-depth reviews of the overall top dashcams for your vehicles
Safe travels on your next run!