The Uniden BCD536HP is one of Uniden’s flagship models, boasting a wide range of useful and impressive features. It is definitely one of best options available on the market right now (here’s our best picks), and it’s important that you know why.
The Uniden BCD536HP police scanner doesn’t require you to program anything, which is part of what makes it so easy to use. You will simply need to enter your zip code or city to get started. After you have done this, this device will load all of the different EMS, Fire and Police channels in your area. This takes all of the guesswork and frustration out of tuning into the frequencies you want at any given time. Advanced users might find something like the BCD996P2 more satisfying.
You will have the ability to record and replay transmissions on any channel. You can store these records on an SD card so you can play them back whenever you want. The built in Wi-Fi connectivity lets you maintain full control over the scanner from your mobile device. You will be able to use almost any Android or iOS smartphone.
Measuring 12.8 by 3.2 by 8.5 inches with a weight of 6 pounds, Uniden BCD536HP isn’t very large or bulky. It features a number of soft touch buttons on the front panel, including Zip, Serv, Rang, and Menu. The bottom row of buttons on this device includes Avoid, Replay, System, Dept, Channel, and Hold/Resume. There are also SQ and volume knobs on the right side that you can use to make quick adjustments as needed.
The 3.5 millimeter audio jack on the front panel will allow you to use headphones when listening to transmissions. There is also a mini USB port that you can use to connect this device directly to your computer to use with the provided software.
The Close Call RF Capture Technology this device uses automatically detects and tunes to nearby transmissions. It doesn’t even matter if the frequency isn’t already programmed into a channel.
Built in Wi-Fi
This device offers built in Wi-Fi that allows you to take control from your smartphone or tablet device. It works for iPads, iPhones, and Android devices with Wi-Fi capability. This allows you to access your scanner from anywhere, which can be incredibly convenient.
There are also a number of discovery modes that let you find new channels on trunked systems and frequency ranges. This expands your options to provide you with enhanced overall performance, making the Uniden BCD536HP truly a good device to purchase.
Micro SD Card Reader
This police scanner has a Micro SD card reader, which you can use to store and playback your transmission recordings. It comes with a 4 gigabytes Micro SD card, which should be more than enough to get you started. If you ever need more storage space, you can always buy a larger capacity card.
The S.A.M.E. weather alerts that you can get through this device will keep you updated on emergency alerts while you are traveling. Whether you are driving home from work or taking a long road trip, this can be very useful.
Quick Key Capable
The Quick Key capable design of this police scanner allows you to maintain a list of up to 100 favorites for your convenience. This makes it easier than ever for you to access your most-used frequencies.
Temporary Avoid Function
The Temporary Avoid function that this device offers will let you instantly silence any unwanted systems or channels. You will be able to unmute by simply cycling the power.
Scan by Location
You will have the option to scan by location, which lets you set your locations by zip code or GPS coordinates.
- Great software design: The Sentinel Software that this device works with makes updating the database and firmware very easy. There are no complicated or involved steps that you’ll have to follow.
- Simple design: This scanner device only requires you to put in your zip code or city to begin using it. You will have no trouble whatsoever when it comes to getting started right out of the box.
- Durable: The metal construction of this device’s body makes it incredibly tough and able to withstand the rigors of long term regular use. It is far sturdier than most plastic scanner devices on the market.
- Remote access: Uniden BCD536HP’s Wi-Fi capabilities allow you to remotely access the scanner from your smartphone or tablet device. This can give you a high degree of convenience that is useful in a variety of situations.
- Large display: The backlit LCD display on the front panel of this device is both large and very clear in all lighting conditions. This will provide you with an optimal level of visibility at all times of the day or night.
- The sheer number of features that this scanner offers can feel a bit overwhelming. It might take a little while for you to familiarize yourself with them.
When you start reading the customer reviews for the Uniden BCD536HP, you will quickly discover that it has a very positive overall reputation. This police scanner has received a ton of praise for its simple but advanced design, which is quite impressive overall. People seem to really like how easy to use this device is. Need something that’s also simple but way cheaper? The Uniden BC355N might be a better option for you.
BCD5356HP vs. BCD996P2
The Uniden BCD996P2 shares quite a few things in common with the Uniden BCD536HP, including its two second scan delay time and receiving modes. They are also relatively the same size, except this model offers Wi-Fi functionality while the other one does not. The BCD996P2 also isn’t quite as user-friendly as this one, so you need to keep that in mind as well. Click this link for our complete review of BCD996P2 https://www.ratedradardetector.org/police-scanner/uniden-bcd996p2-review/.
Uniden BCD536HP Review Conclusion
Overall, the Uniden BCD536HP is a fantastic piece of technology with tons to offer for many different people. It gives you the ability to access a variety of local frequencies from EMS and fire to police and even military, you just have to familiarize yourself with the list of police scanner codes used. This is by far one of the most versatile options available on the market right now. If you are looking for a simple, easy to use and powerful police scanner, this one is perfect.
- Whistler TRX-1 VS Uniden BCD436HP - April 2, 2020
- Uniden Homepatrol 1 VS 2 – What are the differences? - March 31, 2020
- Best Dash Cam for Uber & Lyft Drivers in 2020 - March 28, 2020