You have a truck because you most likely transport many goods and other items constantly. When the weather is nice maybe you throw some dirtbikes in the back, or when it’s snowing the truck bed is where you store your snowboards for a day out. Protect your goods, belongings and truck bed from poor weather conditions with a truck bed tonneau cover. Whether you drive a pickup truck or a 4×4, having a safe and secure cover that’s easy to install is almost a necessity. Now, it’s important to read reviews before a purchase. Let’s look at what the best retractable tonneau covers look like.
Table of Contents
- 7 Top Retractable Tonneau Covers – Reviews & Comparison
- 1 – Retrax Pro MX Retractable Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 2 – Pace Edwards SWC3250 Switchblade Tonneau Cover
- 3 – Roll-N-Lock Locking Retractable M-Series Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
- 4 – GatorTrax Retractable Tonneau Truck Bed Cover
- 5 – Bak Industries Rollbak G2 Aluminum Hard Retractable Tonneau Bed Cover
- 6 – Syneticusa Aluminum Roll-Up Retractable Hard Tonneau Cover
- 7 – RetraxONE XR Retractable Truck Bed Cover
- Our Top Pick
7 Top Retractable Tonneau Covers – Reviews & Comparison
1 – Retrax Pro MX Retractable Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
Before you click the order button, remember to make sure you know the correct measurements for your truck. The Retrax tonneau cover comes in a few different sizes, with this one fitting a 5.5 ft truck bed. The sleek tonneau cover is among the most stylish retractable covers due to the matte or glossy finish.
The best part is it’s easy to use, but doesn’t come at the cost of durability. The construction of the retractable truck bed tonneau cover is incredibly strong. The cover is made from industrial strength aluminum. It’s so strong and robust that it can support loads of more than 500 pounds!
This tonneau cover has an easy installation. The way of opening and closing are smooth, giving you easy bed access. We like the matte style since it’s more resistant to scratches.
The ball bearings allow for smooth and effortless retraction when using, no snaps and springs required. The locking tonneau cover can also stay in any position you need. Keep it completely open, or closed or anywhere in between.
Using this best tonneau cover is great for 5th wheel towing and even improves your mileage up to 10%!
The smooth and lustrous design of this quality product adds to the overall appearance of your truck, while delivering protection to truck bed and the cargo on top. It also adds a lot of security to your truck with strong materials that seal your truck bed tight.
We saved the best part for last – lifetime warranties. Retrax offer a limited one that will have you and your new rolling tonneau cover covered (pun intended) for a long time.
- Some soft retractable tonneau covers bulk up and take up lots of space. But this hard retractable bed cover won’t.
- Easy bed access, close and open easily
- Choose from a glossy or matte finish that is resistant to scratches.
- Designed from industrial strength aluminum, it can carry distributed loads of over 500 pounds!
- You can install the retractable truck bed tonneau cover easily without hassle
- Ease of use is an advantage, locking in many positions as you need
- Using it improves your mileage by a good 10%!
- The smooth look adds to your truck’s overall image.
- It might not seal completely and keep your belongings dry and safe from water.
2 – Pace Edwards SWC3250 Switchblade Tonneau Cover
Similar to the Retrax design, the Pace Edwards Switchblade retractable tonneau cover has a low-profile design that secures your cargo without compromising storage space.
This product installs easily and removes just as quickly to save time and give you bed access. The Armortek deck’s aluminum construction is finished with a polymer coating, making this a very tough cover. We also like that it keeps precipitation and moisture at bay with the well sealed fit.
For a price that doesn’t exceed $900, we’d argue that the Pace Edwards Switchblade series is quite affordable. Plus it features many designs and quality features high end models possess. What’s not to like?
These tonneau cover options are way better than the traditional hard roll up tonneau cover. Using it saves more space and has a more streamlined look.
It also sits flush with your bed rails, and fits perfectly. Remove the Switchblade retractable tonneau cover with the simple pull of the strap. It’s so easy in fact you can do it with a single hand, making it easy to load and unload your items.
- The product price is quite affordable for something that usually costs closer to $1500.
- The low-profile design sits flush and saves storage space.
- The Armortek aluminum is constructed from strong materials that form a perfect fit with your truck bed.
- We like that the robust cover is low maintenance and looks good on your truck.
- This best tonneau cover fits your truck bed rails, use their system to verify the measurements.
- Open and close the retractable bed cover for access with the simple pull of the strap. It’s so easy it can be done with one hand!
- It has a pretty high product rating on Amazon without anything less than 3 stars.
- Verify the fit before your purchase.
3 – Roll-N-Lock Locking Retractable M-Series Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
Next in our reviews is a product from Roll-n-Lock. Roll-n-lock is a large company that produces many truck bed tonneau covers fit for trucks. We’ve decided to take a look at their M-series, as it has been widely accepted as the best of the bunch.
They take strong industrial grade aluminum and a vinyl coating to create the heavy-duty cover.
This locking tonneau cover fits the rails just as well as its competitors but takes up less space. The torsion spring responsible for the smooth retraction give a frictionless rotation that doesn’t snag in any way. Just pull on the strap and watch it roll without catching.To save you trouble, it even comes with an auto-lock function that keeps your cargo safe inside by locking it from suspicious people and the weather as well.
What’s more, we also like that this best retractable truck tonneau cover is easy to install. Installation could be a bigger headache than actually using the tonneau cover, but Roll-n-lock makes the process easy. We suggest referring to installation videos rather than the Roll-n-Lock product manual.
It’s the best retractable tonneau cover that is low maintenance and nice to look at.
- It’s a good and seamless fit for most trucks.
- One of the best covers on the market.
- The vinyl over aluminum construction of the aluminum slats produce a heavy-duty tonneau cover.
- The product footprint is smaller than its competitors.
- One thing to rave about is the torsion spring which gives smooth operation for snag-free retraction and easy bed access.
- The auto-lock function keeps your belongings safe from suspicious people.
- Installation is relatively easy if you refer to the videos.
- The low-key style looks great with any truck.
- It costs quite a bit more than the previous suggestion.
4 – GatorTrax Retractable Tonneau Truck Bed Cover
Make sure you check the product listing to ensure it fits your vehicle model. What fits a Ford might not fit other models. Gator Covers list the model number the cover fits for your reference.
Gatortrax retractable tonneau covers come in matte or gloss design depending on personal preference. We always feel that matte is elegant and way more scratch-resistant than the latter.
The sealed ball bearing makes retraction smooth and simple and easy enough to be done by hand. Locking the truck bed tonneau in any position you need is also possible so your belongings have protection from water and rain.
The lexan made (a strong and durable material) retractable tonneau truck bed cover is tough and low maintenance. The ball bearings need minimal upkeep and will not freeze. This best retractable truck tonneau cover can also withstand temperatures ranging from 150 to over 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
It’s made in America and America knows trucks. To stand by the quality of their product, Gatortrax also provides a limited lifetime warranty with your purchase.
The subtly hidden lock in the product will secure your tailgate and keep everything secure and safe by locking it from delinquents.
Whether you are just going around town running errands or on a job, the sturdy material is also resistant to UV rays, moisture, and almost anything else you can throw at it.
- Choose between the glossy and matte finishes to suit your personal style.
- The sealed ball bearing makes retraction easy for the lightweight tonneau cover.
- The lexan polycarbonate can withstand low to high temperatures, water, rain, or any weather
- This cover is designed in America
- Lock your belongings and keep everything safe.
- It may not last for a long time
- The cover snags after prolonged use.
5 – Bak Industries Rollbak G2 Aluminum Hard Retractable Tonneau Bed Cover
Who doesn’t like improving their mileage? Does 10% sound good? How about 11? This retractable truck bed cover can improve your mileage up to 11%!
The sleek design of the product will complement your vehicle, no matter what model you drive.
The powder coated aluminum allows the best retractable tonneau cover to be weather-resistant, durable, and everyday waterproof so no water will seep through.
The installation will have no impact on your tailgate. Weighing at about 90 pounds, the truck bed cover is relatively lightweight and offers protection while not weighing down your truck bed.
The intermittent locking system of the product allows you to lock the tonneau cover at every 12 inch mark.
The product design doesn’t interfere with the standard design of your vehicle, so you can keep those bed rails and save yourself some headache.
It glides up and down easily, 100% maintenance-free. Open and close the cover with ease for bed access. There are fewer accessories and moving parts in this option than many others.
It comes assembled with factory settings, so all you need to do is pop it on. It almost turns your truck into an armored truck. Chances are, the retractable tonneau cover will outlast your truck!
- The tonneau cover comes assembled.
- You’ll find the design is relatively maintenance-free.
- Designed from good quality 100% powder coated aluminum
- This best retractable truck tonneau cover is easy to install and won’t interfere with the tailgate or bed rails.
- Lock the tonneau cover at any 12 inch mark.
- Close and open easily
- Resistant to water and other weather conditions.
- It improves your mileage up to 11%!
- There is no warranty if purchased through Amazon.
- Might not last for years.
6 – Syneticusa Aluminum Roll-Up Retractable Hard Tonneau Cover
It comes in two different sizes, so make sure you purchase the right one. The strong aluminum slats are powder coated in matte to create a hard truck bed cover that is not only scratch resistant, but immune to weather conditions and even leaves.
A bonus feature of the product is the ability to be locked in any position you need, not in inch intervals. Keep it open, closed, or locked whichever position is convenient for you.
The mounting brackets and the bolts you need are included in the package, and the total installation time might take you up to 30 minutes.
It is designed to last a long time but it won’t fade from exposure or need a lot of maintenance if any at all.
The sleek and streamlined style of this best retractable truck bed tonneau cover will definitely look good. The aluminum tonneau cover has a rubber edge that runs around the border to ensure a perfect seal.
- The product comes in two sizes, one for a short bed and one for the standard size.
- Aluminum slats are strong and covered in a powder coated matte finish to give water, weather and scratch resistance.
- Lock the tonneau cover in any position you find fit with the secure key-lock system.
- You get the mounting brackets and bolts you need for installation in the package.
- This good retractable cover is built to last a long time without risk of fading and need for maintenance.
- A rubber edge runs around the perimeter to ensure a tight seal.
- May be complicated to install
- Might scratch after all.
7 – RetraxONE XR Retractable Truck Bed Cover
For truck owners wanting a truck bed cover that can hold sleds, snowboards, skis and bikes, consider this option.
The RetraxONE XR retractable tonneau cover has an integrated Trax Rail system for compatible accessories. With a nice and smooth matte finish, the top is designed to be resistant to scratches. Which comes in handy since loading these items on top is bound to scuff it up.
Hold even more cargo both on top of and under the tonneau cover. It’s compatible with most racks, but first make sure on their website.
The cargo loaded on top does not take away from the functionality of the retractable tonneau cover itself. It can still be locked at any position you need and is still streamlined and provides a good firm seal.
Your retractable truck bed tonneau cover is protected by a limited lifetime warranty.
- The single sheet of polycarbonate slides open and close easily with innovative engineering.
- Still a fully functional rectractable cover, enjoy the perks of every other Retrax design.
- This model is compatible with most racks.
- Double the storage space both on top and under the tonneau cover.
- The low-key design of this retractable cover is fully sealed around the edges.
- Features an integrated Trax Rail system.
- It might leak.
Our Top Pick
Retrax Pro MX Retractable Truck Bed Tonneau Cover
In our reviews for the best retractable tonneau cover, we have selected this one from Retrax.
This company provides the widest selection and has the highest ratings with the most trivial cons.
It can easily close and open, and also locks in any position you need. This is greatly convenient when you are loading heavy cargo on top.
The one-piece polycarbonate is resistant to scratching while adding to your truck’s overall appearance.
It also improves your mileage and can be paired with the Trax Rail System.
It features a secure key-lock system that keeps suspicious people out of your truck bed and away from your valuables.
It stays flush to the rails and offers a reliable seal that makes this design weather resistant.
What to Look for When Buying A Retractable Tonneau Cover
Whether you haul heavy loads, want protection for your truck bed cover, or want to double up on storage space, a retractable tonneau cover is what you should consider. Retractable covers differ from the foldable truck bed covers, but we’ll get into that later. To ensure the quality of your retractable covers, there are a few factors to keep in mind.
A big purpose of purchasing a pricey retractable tonneau cover is for security. A lock and key is what’s important and hopefully a dependable seal all around. To make sure the tonneau cover gives you maximum security, you must first guarantee the right fit. Do your research, know your truck, and purchase the right size to ensure there are no gaps. If you pay a little bit more, you may even get the automatic retracting feature that has a remote operation. It’s easy to use and gives you greater peace of mind knowing suspicious people like thieves can’t just pry open the lock.
What materials are used in making this truck armor? Also consider that when looking at reviews. Most truck covers are made of aluminum, vinyl, polymer or lexan, and some are a blend of any of the two. These materials are tough, durable, and produce tonneau covers for lasting use. If they have a matte finish, they are more resistant to scratches. These materials also keep your belongings safe from the weather and keeps moisture out. Unfortunately, over a long period of use, normal wear and tear will occur. Even though many truck bed covers do not require maintenance, you still need to store it properly.
Most if not all retractable truck tonneau covers are weather resistant and waterproof. Another main function of truck tonneau covers is to keep your belongings dry. However, no matter how weather resistant your retractable covers are, it won’t matter if it doesn’t have a tight seal. So in reviews, consider the size first to make sure the cover fits well!
Most truck bed covers have a pretty uniform design. They are of black color and either have a matte or glossy finish. Many manufacturers boast about how little space their retractable covers take up and how thin and lightweight it is and easy to retract. Quick release function is also good to consider in a product. These are all great features to have in covers. But again, be sure it sits flush with the rails.
You get what you pay for, and that’s a rule all consumers must accept when reading reviews. Sure you may be able to find a foldable option for a fraction of the price, but will you get the same security, convenience and peace of mind the retractable cover options offer? You’re looking at anywhere between 800-2000 dollars.
In our reviews, we always stress searching for options that come with a warranty or guarantee. This is for your own protection and of course saves you a lot of effort if something goes wrong. A couple of our suggestions above come with limited lifetime warranties. It will do you good by looking into the definition of “limited” in this case. Sure you lose out on some time contacting customer service and sending the product back, but that’s a lot better than throwing a thousand dollars down the drain.
Folding VS. Retractable Tonneau Covers
As promised in this reviews and buying guide, we’ll help you decide whether you should spend more bucks on the retractable covers or if the foldable ones will suffice. There are downsides and advantages to both, it’s up to you to decide which works best.
Folding Tonneau Covers
You will mostly find these pop up as the “tri-fold” tonneau cover options on Amazon. These covers live up to their name by folding into three segments, allowing on-third, half or full access to your truck bed. Not to mention, they also come at a cheaper price too.
The tri-fold tonneau covers are for you if you don’t often need to use it. I know it sounds counterintuitive as we should only buy products that provide practicality, but folding the pieces back and pulling them back down can be hard work. Especially if the folding cover is heavy.
Another thing folding covers require you to do is to use both hands for operation. Sure if you bench heavy weights you can try to do it with one hand, but it’s easier done with two.
These covers are also easier to install but might not be as durable as the best retractable tonneau covers.
Retractable Tonneau Covers
You might be more familiar with the perks of the retractable truck cover options after having gone through this article. But let us refresh your mind.
The access to your truck bed is easier with the retractable design. It can be operated with just one hand at no extra effort.
The best retractable truck covers come with a strap and can be locked at any position giving you easy access to your truck bed. Opening and closing would be easy. They also have even lower maintenance costs if any at all. The one downside I would say is the price. Retractable tonneau covers are pricier than the foldable versions.
So which retractable truck tonneau cover is the right choice for you? Aside from the suggestions in our reviews, start by thinking how often you will use it and what purpose it will take. Do you want convenience or do you want saving a few bucks more? Okay, it’s not just a few bucks but you know what we are getting at. There isn’t really a “better” one or the “right” choice. The choice of a retractable cover all depends on your individual needs.
Should I Get a Tonneau Cover with an Independent Lock or One That Works with the Tailgate?
Safety is the main concern for many, so the locking system comes into question. However, the security isn’t really dependent on the lock at all. Well, of course it does help, but what is the lock without a tonneau cover made of strong and durable materials? The thieves will get into the cargo on top easily even if you have a lock if the truck bed cover is flimsy.
Choose an integrated lock for non-locking tailgates and for ones that do lock, you might want to look for one that can’t open when the tailgate is up.
For retractable tonneau covers, security and durability are the two words you want to keep in mind. If budget is a limitation, there are plenty of retractable cover options that fall between the two extremes that offer pretty good features. Reviews like this one are a great help. Once you have got that down, looking into the secondary features like design and scratch resistance is the next step before buying. Retractable tonneau covers are meant to be convenient and enhance the overall look of your truck and not take away from it. Your best option is to search for one with a warranty or guarantee of at least a year to protect your purchase.