One of the most annoying things when you’re driving and wanting to listen to music is to have next to no bass. Having clear, smooth and clean bass come out of your speakers is something we’re used to and maybe even take for granted. To help enhance your car speaker sound, we’ve accumulated a few of the 8-inch products with the best review and rating to help you find your match. We also took it upon ourselves to give you the best performing under seat subwoofers here.
Top 6 8-Inch Car Subwoofers – Reviews & Comparison
1 – Skar Audio VVX-8v3 D2 8″ 800W Max Power Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer
If you are looking for a lot of power in a small package, then Skar really delivers. After many years of research, Skar has perfected and systematically produce reliable products with a ton of power.
The VVX-8v3 masters producing the notes at lower frequencies to present you with smooth rich bass.
Using a paper cone with tooled basket and an advanced cooling system, the Skar Audio VVX-8v3 is a leader in functionality and performance that is rivaled by few.
The efficient cooling design and the high temperature voice coil prevent 8-inch subwoofer from overheating. When there is no risk of the subwoofer from overheating, blowing out or cracking, you can crank up the volume with no fear
The high power level wattage of 400 watts RMS and a max power of 800 watts, that is a lot of power in such a small design.
It may even be able to compete with higher grade subwoofers with its frequency response of 55-500 HZ and a sensitivity level of 82.3 dB (decibels).
- The 8 subwoofer size is compact, perfect for smaller vehicles as they don’t take up much space.
- The small subwoofer can handle long hours of play time with its power output.
- It is able to produce lower frequency notes with supreme accuracy, resulting in crisp deep bass.
- It sure does handle a lot of power for something so small.
- Highly sensitive and has a very high frequency response time, not missing a single beat.
- The cooling design will make sure this small subwoofer 8 inch won’t overheat, so play your music to your heart’s content.
- The black color and sleek design will look good in your car.
- It may have a lower wattage than advertised.
2 – JBL Stage 810 8” 200-Watt Subwoofer
JBL is a big name when it comes to sound. The polypropylene cone and rubber surrounds made from high-grade materials not only give you smooth sound, but high durability.
Every single speaker/subwoofer created by JBL undergo stringent tests to make sure they can deliver what the consumer is looking for. Not only that, but some of the world’s best engineers will then tune every single subwoofer to ensure they are at their peak.
With peak power at 800 watts, this little sub can sure handle a lot. The sensitivity response at 88 dB and a frequency response time of 38-200Hz, you can get the best of your music.
One of the best parts of purchasing from a well-known manufacturer such as JBL is the warranty. You’re protected by a 1-year warranty which qualifies you for an exchange if needed
One last thing we should mention is the affordable price!
- This item provides clean and crisp bass notes without an amp!
- The polypropylene cone and rubber surrounds on the speaker can afford to be tested with long hours of playing.
- The peak power of 800 watts packs this little 8-inch subwoofer with a lot of power.
- The frequency response time of 38-200 Hz and the sensitivity at 88 dB will make sure you never miss a sound.
- At under $70, this is quite an affordable option, especially if you would like to purchase more than 1!
- You get a 1-year warranty with your purchase from JBL and authorized retailers.
- If you are looking for heavy heavy bass, move on.
- May not be very compatible with motorcycles.
3 – Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8 8” Dual 2-Ohm Punch Series Shallow Car Mount Subwoofer
Looking for a distortion-free mini subwoofer? Look no further than this 8-inch subwoofer from Rockford Fosgate.
The small 8-inch subwoofer already has a small diameter, but add a shallow mount to the mix and you’ll see how this option can save you a lot of space. This is quite important for those with small vehicles.
The anodized aluminum cone is incredibly durable and resistant, making it resistant to heavy pressure and loads. The frame is well-vented to keep your little subwoofer from overheating. No one likes to have to turn off the music due to an overheating subwoofer.
The Santoprene surround enhances the audio output and the 2 voice coils allow you to connect not one but two subs to your car stereo if you feel one isn’t enough.
This little sub is certified. The Rockford Fosgate 8-inch subwoofer possesses CEA-2031 certification which states the little subwoofer can handle the power ratings it indicates. That gives consumers peace of mind.
- It saves a lot of space with the small diameter and also the shallow mount.
- It’s also known to be incredibly easy to install.
- With a legitimate certification stating its power handling standards are to be trusted, you know what you are getting.
- Dual voice coils allow for more flexibility and maybe even adding another mini sub.
- The anodized aluminum cone is very durable and resistant.
- The ample ventilation of the frame will keep your mini sub from overheating.
- It may not be very loud. In this case, installing two is a good idea.
- If you do install two, it defeats the space saving purpose.
4 – Planet Audio AC8D Dual 4-Ohm Voice Coil Subwoofer
The cone of this subwoofer is made from polypropylene that makes this subwoofer a high contender in the competition of longevity.
The voice coils used are designed to withstand higher temperatures while not diminishing in strength or giving in to fatigue.
The foam surround excels in flexibility and lasts longer than other materials.giving the subwoofer higher efficiency overall. The stamped basket can handle and absorb much of the power and energy produced by the speaker. And with good corrosion resistance and resistance to high temperatures, you have a very tough and highly-functional subwoofer on your hands.
Not to mention the overall appearance of this speaker. WIth the blue details and customizable trim ring, you can make it your own and look even better sitting in your vehicle.
- Foam surrounds are made to last longer than other materials. It also allows for more flexibility for speaker drivers than need more excursion.
- The voice coils used can withstand higher temperatures without losing strength.
- The stamped basket can handle more power.
- The small 8-inch subwoofer with a mounting depth of only 4-inches saves a lot of space.
- Customizing options allow you to personalize the subwoofer.
- Might not last very long. Consumers should be advised to break-in the subwoofer first.
5 – JL Audio 8W3V3-4 8” Single 4-Ohm W3V3 Series Subwoofer
JL products come at the ideal power range of 75-250 RMS and a peak power of 500 watts. It’s a little package that packs quite a big punch when it comes to delivering bass and it’s quite affordable as well.
The rubber surround adds durability and the mineral-filled polypropylene cone woofer can handle all the power the subwoofer dishes out.
It’s also incredibly simple to install with the single 4-ohm coil and spring loaded terminals. For those who don’t have a lot of space, this is a great option. Although since it’s small, you shouldn’t expect this little subwoofer to pump out as much bass as a larger model.
For the small package that it is, it sure does pump out impressive sound.
- A subwoofer with spring loaded terminals for easy installment. For people who are less experienced with audio technology, this is a good choice.
- The mineral-filled polypropylene cone is tough enough to handle all the power this little subwoofer can dish out.
- 250 watts RMS with a 500-watt peak power.
- The rubber surround is tough and durable, and can handle higher temperatures.
- If you are looking to save space and not pay through the nose, consider this subwoofer.
- The deep bass is less than impressive
6 – Kicker 8” Solo-Baric L7 Car Subwoofer
This is probably the first time you have seen a square-shaped subwoofer isn’t it? Well, the unique shape is really what gives it a powerful boost.
Known to be quite powerful and loud for a small 8-inch sub, it doesn’t sacrifice sound for size.
The first patented square-shaped subwoofer, the corner-ribbed and double-stitched Santoprene keeps the subwoofer securely in place.
You either get 2 or 4 voice coils placed on each corner of the subwoofer. While this isn’t the best for wiring, it is quite unique.
Due to the square shape, it has extra cone area that delivers more decibels than the standard designs. The Solo-Blaric subwoofer incorporates many of Kicker’s most innovative designs for premium performance.
The solid pole piece and the high temperature coil wire allows for air-flow and ventilation to keep the temperature down.
- The patented and unique design allows for more cone space that delivers more decibels than the average design.
- It as good temperature dissipation that prolongs the subwoofer’s life.
- The Solo-Blaric subwoofer is a new and innovative design from Kicker.
- Corner-ribbed and double stitched Santoprene keeps the woofer in place and minimizes cone flex.
- Very powerful for its size.
- Might not be easy to hook up due to the placement of the voice coils.
Our Top Pick: Planet Audio AC8D Dual 4-Ohm Voice Coil Subwoofer
Planet Audio gets our vote for the top place on our list. The polypropylene cone is built to outlast most other subwoofers.
As an Amazon’s Choice product, you know you’re getting a product with good ratings. The strong foam surround allows for more flexibility in the excursion and the stamped basket is a strong platform that allows your subwoofer to boost the bass.
The voice coil can withstand high temperatures that will contribute to its longevity.
If purchased from Planet Audio, your purchase is protected by a 3-year online dealer warranty through Amazon.
What to Look for When Buying the Best 8 Inch Subwoofer?
A lot of factors contribute to how we deem a subwoofer to be good enough. Yes, anyone can say a subwoofer is good by listening to the sound it produces. However, that is all subjective since people have different needs and preferences when it comes to bass level. Luckily, there are a few ways you can determine whether a woofer is good or not. Read on to find out what they are!
The frequency range basically means the range it can achieve. The lower the first number is, the lower the frequency, which means the lower and deeper the sound it can produce. Look for lower range frequencies in the 20-30 Hz range for the best deep bass sounds. Basically look at it like this, if you are a fan of deeper bass, then look for a lower number. Again, as mentioned before, how much bass and how deep and rich the bass is is personal preference. We have offered some options above that vary in this range for you to have more options.
You have often seen subwoofers being advertised as having single or dual voice coils. We recommend dual voice coils if you need to add other drivers, and they allow for more customization flexibility in the future. Here’s help on how to install a subwoofer to a factory stereo.
Single voice coils are simpler and better for those who just want a quick upgrade, aren’t very tech savvy and won’t add any upgrades in the future
Does it Need an Amp?
Powered subwoofers usually have a speaker and an amplifier and maybe even a magnet for an extra boost of power. A powered sub is not for those who own smaller vehicles and may not have room for a separate amp. This is something to consider if you are limited in space.
While the powered subwoofers do have decent sound and frequencies, the smaller enclosure has a negative impact on their ability to hit the deeper and brassier notes. Although on the flipside, they are easier to install.
Some of these smaller subwoofers come with an enclosure and are pre-mounted for your convenience. Keep in mind that pre-mounted subwoofers do not include amplifiers, so if you are looking for a powered subwoofer, keep this in mind.
If you need an enclosure to mount it inside your car, the ready-to-go enclosed subwoofers are an easier choice. However, they are less seen on the market.
Component or Non-Component?
Component subwoofers give the audiophile more room and options for customization. It isn’t the best choice for those who are less savvy with technology. Component subwoofers give you the option of choosing enclosure, amplifier (read our great 5-channel amp recommendations), and other items to tailor-make your own system. A non-component option already has everything you need in one ready-to-use package.
As we say for every product we review, a warranty or guarantee or both is extremely important as it gives you more protection. Who knows if you will receive a faulty, damaged or even the wrong product on delivery? If you find you have made the wrong choice, you can also have the choice to return it, refund it or exchange the product. Some even come with lifetime warranties, so it really is a winning situation.
Are 8 Inch Subwoofers Good?
There are a few different sizes on the market with 10 inch subs being the most popular. So should you go for an 8 inch?
Of course, the larger ones pack more power but they do need more space. Sometimes you aren’t at liberty to choose if you just don’t have the allotted space.
They don’t use as much power as their larger counterparts and will also save on your car battery, too.
So our verdict is, if you don’t have the space but want an adequate subwoofer with decent sound, yes, 8 inch subwoofers are good.
What is the Best Small Subwoofer?
We gave you our top pick above, but if you are looking for another suggestion, the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-Inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer is a strong contender. It’s quite shallow in design, is easy to install, and has pretty good bass if you ask us.
There are also subwoofers designed to fit into specific areas and locations of your car. You have under-seat subwoofers, and subs that work well with different types of cars such as hatchbacks, SUVs, etc. Most of them do not come with a mount, so for people who need a bit of help, it’s better to get them professionally installed
Looking for a subwoofer can be like reading through a manual in another language for those of us without any prior experience. Keep in mind our factors to consider and hopefully that will help you make the right choice. One thing is for sure, we all need better bass than our standard car speakers can provide. Need a subwoofer that enhances bass without needing much modification in your car? Might be best to check out our dedicated list for this purpose.[thrive_leads id='5063']